New to D. First impression not good.

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 18:26:07 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 23 December 2021 at 18:06:35 UTC, D.B. wrote:
> Let me just say first of all this post is not meant to be
> provocative, and also, I haven't even got a chance to use the
> language yet. That's what's so frustrating. It seems like a
> good, well designed language, but frankly the
> install/bootstrapping process is not well designed. I'm
> frustrated and want to vent right now before going further.
> Actually, I'd rather to see these problems fixed before
> proceeding. Show me that you really care about doing things
> Right.
>
> [...]

Did you ask for help during this process? If not, did you use the
automatic bootstrapping flag in build process. Which zip file are
you actually referring to. People bootstrap D on relatively wacky
platforms fairly regularly so if you didn't ask for help you
should ask now.

Also you ask for longer documentation - there are several books
about D, did you try them? If not then there's what you're
looking for. Ali Cehreli wrote a book teaching D from scratch,
it's very good.