malloc and buffer overflow attacks

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 22:13:15 UTC 2021

On Friday, 31 December 2021 at 21:58:14 UTC, russhy wrote:
> On Friday, 31 December 2021 at 21:37:56 UTC, russhy wrote:
>> Allocators should be first class citizen anyways, malloc/free
>> should not be used directly, not only they are unsafe, they
>> are most of the time not what people need
>>
>> And i hope what will come out of `std.experimental.allocator`
>> won't be using classes..something light, value, extensible and
>> made with betterC in mind
>>
>> It should be the root of everything that comes out of D, not
>> something lightly thought
>>
>> A base to move forward and be future proof
>
> Follow up, it's roten:
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/search?q=path%3Astd%2Fexperimental%2Fallocator+exception
>
> There are words, and facts, unfortunately..

As far as I can tell, the "uses" of exceptions found by that
search consist of

1. Code to handle exceptions thrown by copy constructors and
postblits.
2. Optional features that must be explicitly enabled by the
programmer at compile-time.
3. A try/catch block in GCAllocator.
3. Unit-test code.

So, nothing here should block compatibility with BetterC,
although it might require some `version` blocks to disable the
runtime-dependent stuff.