Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--String Interpolation Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 2

claptrap clap at trap.com
Tue Feb 2 14:45:05 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 06:22:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/31/2021 3:04 AM, claptrap wrote:
>> Why is "working with printf" so important?
>
> It's a canary. printf has a very simple interface, and if
> string interpolation doesn't work for simple cases, it is
> indicative of complexity problems.

Making the DIP work with printf wont make it work with all simple
interfaces. So printf is not "a canary for simple interfaces".
All it actually does is make it work with a very specific subset
of "simple interfaces" at the expense of all others.

You solved the equations for one variable, but you still have 3
unknowns.

> Along with, of course, everybody uses printf and printf-style
> functions (dmd has many), and writef also uses a printf-style
> format.

I dont, I have a few custom wrapper functions for formatting
floats, and i use writeln.

> I emphasize that #DIP1027 knows nothing about printf or its
> formats, other than having the default format be `%s`. The
> default can, of course, be overridden.
>
> Again, DIP1027 KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT PRINTF OR ITS FORMATS.

I dont like either proposal tbh.