Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--String Interpolation Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 2

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:30:23 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 23:06:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> CODE GENERATION IS WHERE IT'S AT.
>
> How is that different?

I think the point here is that it's not worth killing the golden
goose just to have printf work easily - I personally think a
solution is obviously possible even if not through this DIP.

Ergonomically doing code generation with format specifiers is
just really really ugly and brittle. I feel similarly with printf
although I still use it as writeln compiles to a remarkable
amount of machine code.

One thing that's just struck me is that with move semantics this
could have a bunch of potential GC usage eliminated for
relatively little cost by using some structs in the right place.