D for safety critical applications

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl dominikus at scherkl.de
Tue Feb 9 08:54:12 UTC 2021

On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 23:01:17 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
wrote:
> On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 13:17:31 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>
>>> What kind of safety critical applications are we talking
>>> about? Which certifications are you targeting for your
>>> product(s)?
>>>
>>> I'm not currently aware of any certified compilers for D. It
>>> would be cool if one existed, though.
>>
>> I'm in a bit of a hurry atm, but basically IEC 61508 and ISO
>> 26262 (we have older systems for EN 50128 and EN 50657 but
>> they are not actively developed):
>>
>> https://www.iar.com/iar-embedded-workbench/certified-tools-for-functional-safety/
>
> In brief, how does it work? If a bug will be found in the
> compiler, certifying authority (or its staff) will be fined?

The certification only increases the trust in a SW generated by
the certified tool.
Without this certificate a tool is simply not allowed to be used
to build ISO compliant SW.
But the SW still need to be fully tested and the tool provider is
not responsible for any undetected bug in the resulting SW.
Of course a tool bug need to be documented, if its vendor wants
to keep its certification. It is not even a fix required, not to
mention fines :-)