D for safety critical applications

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Tue Feb 9 13:22:22 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 12:38:21 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 11:25:26 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
> Scherkl wrote:
>> As I said, fixing bugs is NOT required for certification.
>> It is only necessary to document them.
>
> Out of curiosity, what happens next then? I assume the goal is
> to certify your application. In the process of certifying your
> application, wouldn't you have to prove that the application
> does not trigger any of the documented bugs in the certified
> tools? This could well be harder to do than fixing the bugs in
> the tools.
>
> -- Bastiaan.

I'm not aware that any certification requires explicit proof that
you avoid those bugs. This is mostly covered indirectly by two
things: you need to adhere to the safety manual for the tools you
use and you need a pretty rigorous testing regime for your
product. The mandated test coverage should be good enough to
detect misbehaving code introduced by faulty tools.