Discussion on static reflection syntax in C++

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Feb 23 13:31:00 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 23 February 2021 at 10:24:26 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 February 2021 at 10:14:50 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>>
>> Is this real life
>
> C++ is quickly becoming that annoying legacy langage that no
> one likes.
> I would be incredibly wary starting a C++ project in 2021 ; in
> my exprience literally anything else is a more productive use
> of your time.
>
> Even in the audio space which is 95% C++, the top product is
> FLStudio, a product that was originally from Delphi.
> Friendlier languages lead to friendlier products for some
> reasons.

The effort to avoid C++ in some domains is very high, for example
on Windows, it seems every effort from DevDiv to improve the
overall experience gets botched by WinDev pushing their C++
agenda.

Now it remains to be seen what uphill battles the newly created
Microsoft Rust team will need to face as well.

This is just one example among many, either one is prepared to be
the snowflake that does everything alone, and spends development
money getting stuff to work, or just integrate the existing
ecosystem and proceed to spend customer's money on actual product
development.

I cannot bill hours on "working around existing C++ SDK, because
there is better out there".