Kuhn-Munkres Algorithm (a.k.a. The Hungarian Algorithm)

Sameer Pradhan pradhan at cemantix.org
Thu Feb 25 20:35:36 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 20 February 2021 at 10:35:27 UTC, drug wrote:
> On 2/19/21 11:53 PM, Sameer Pradhan wrote:
>> Dear D-ers,
>>
>> I wanted to port a currently Perl code used for scoring an NLP
>> task to D.  A few folks have reimplemented it in Python but I
>> would like to create a D implementation.
>>
>> The catch is that each of the above two routines relies on a
>> library or module that implements the Kuhn-Munkres assignment
>> algorithm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_algorithm).
>> Both the Perl and Python implementations are based on the the
>> following (likely more general version the algorithm—I believe
>> one that handles rectangular matrices)
>>
>> http://csclab.murraystate.edu/~bob.pilgrim/445/munkres.html
>>
>> I did a quick search to find out whether there already exists
>> a D library that implements this routine.   I did not find any
>> library satisfying this requirement.  So, it is likely that I
>> would have to write it myself. My assumption is that it won't
>> be very complicated, but for the most efficient implementation
>> I would probably need to use the one of the D libraries that
>> do NumPy style, efficient computation over matrices.  OR, I
>> could find a implementation in C and create a binding for it
>> in D.  I am not sure what is the easiest and least effort path
>> that would ensure an accurate and optimal (in terms of speed)
>> solution.

Thanks for your responses. I had one other related question: I
also found a C-implementation of the algorithm. I have never
written a Dlang binding for a C library, but since D has binary
compatibility with a C library/object file, would it be easier to
write a wrapper for this C library in D? Or there can be some
gotchas that I need to keep in mind if I take this path?

--
Sameer