Travis-CI.org has shut down

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Jun 4 14:57:23 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:41:16 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:08:09 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> In addition to the information you've already been provided
>> about pricing, here's a blog post where they explain the
>> changes:
>>
>> https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing
>>
>> They couldn't continue as they did before because that meant
>> they were footing the bill for cryptocurrency operations. All
>> the providers are facing the same issue:
>> https://layerci.com/blog/crypto-miners-are-killing-free-ci/
>
> I don't dispute that crypto mining is a concern, but I find the
> Travis-CI people are a little disingenuous about it. Most
> obviously, if people are consuming too many resources, then
> warn them, or queue their projects, or start banning them. If
> that doesn't work, then move to the pricing model but give
> enough credits every month so that 95% of the formerly free
> group won't have to worry about paying. The fact that every
> open source project I know of is running for the hills from
> Travis-CI, suggests the free credits are not generous enough.

I'm not sure about the details. It's not just Travis CI though.
My (limited) understanding is that they'd need a way to catch
"open source projects" that slip crypto mining into the build
step. It would be a constantly moving target and a neverending
drain on resources, so it's easier just to get rid of free CI
altogether.