Should we finally ditch the 32-bit build of dmd?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jun 17 15:44:09 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 11:47:08 UTC, Claude wrote:

> I would not ditch.
>
> 32-bit is still useful on embedded devices. Also, some
> applications do not necessarily need to address 4GB of memory.

Yes, there might be 32-bit x86 systems and just because of this I
say we should ditch dmd. I knew this were coming, that the dmd
backend would be gradually abandoned because of lack of
resources. Also, GDC/LDC offers a range of x86 micro
architectures to optimize for which is out of scope for dmd. This
is particularly interesting for embedded systems that often use
odd x86 CPUs. This will eventually happen to x86-64 as well and
I'm starting the timer.

Instead D should take advantage of CPU support that comes with
GDC/LDC and the infrastructure around them.