Thanks from a python programmer

mipri mipri at minimaltype.com
Sun Mar 7 05:08:35 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 7 March 2021 at 04:15:12 UTC, Preetpal wrote:
> Isn't this worse than just re-defining the constant, since now
> you lose compile time knowledge of what the constant should be?

There are two compilers, and the C one still has knowledge of
it, but yes it can't be a const in this case as Nim doesn't
know it's a constant, and that's arguably a downside of doing
things that way. Another downside is you need to care about
another compiler's availability, version, toolchain, etc. Being
skeptical is fine; the Nim community also does not really
embrace transpilation as a feature, and on older systems I've
had an easier time getting D set up than Nim.

> How is it any different than just generating a header file in
> an intermediate build step

Not having to do that is a difference.