make AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1 fails and suggests to use AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1

Petar Petar
Sun May 2 18:22:47 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 11:49:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 5/1/21 4:51 PM, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> On Saturday, 1 May 2021 at 01:07:33 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> WSL2 running Ubuntu under Windows.
>>>
>>> [..]
>>
>> Something is definitely wrong with your computer.
>
> Thanks to all who tested - the problem is indeed with WSL (or
> my installation thereof).

Happy to help ;)

> For some reason, network connectivity from within WSL (at least
> on my machine) becomes really bad after a while and I need to
> shutdown and restart WSL in order to restore speed. At one
> point I couldn't push to git anymore.
>
> Because of that, the download performed by the installation
> script was not finished. When I tried to manually run make, the
> system was not provisioned properly.

I haven't experienced this myself (though I haven't used WSL
regularly since about 1-2 years - I just rebooted to Windows to
try out the setup.sh script), but looking for similar issues
online it seems your computer is likely not an exception:

https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/4901

 From what I gather, it may have something to do with Large Send
Offload, with some people reporting that disabling this feature
fixed the problem for them (but it seems that you have to disable
it after every reboot).

You can try if that works for you like this:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network
Connections
2. Right click vEthernet (WSL) -> Properties
3. Click 'Configure'
4. Click 'Advanced' tab
5. Disable both 'Large Send Offload Version 2'

If that fixes the issue, but you want to automate it, this
PowerShell cmdlet should do the trick:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/netadapter/disable-netadapterlso?view=windowsserver2019-ps

> There would be the argument that that code should belong in the
> makefile as opposed to the installation script (as it was
> before) but no matter.

As far as I can see, the `AUTO_BOOTSTRAP` logic is still part of
the `dmd/src/posix.mak` Makefile:
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/b8ffb017c8c802827be98722b838cb120b9d918b/src/posix.mak#L46-L52

Sebastian did [factor it
out](https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commit/d42e0c7ccc73c484d4cfb222a97394bb0b50f964#diff-cc85afadd8729c6fb4462f47bb525ecc69d41137160beeb4cfdab3edca3e5e9e) to a separate [`bootstrap.sh` script](https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/v2.096.1/src/bootstrap.sh), but other than that I think it should work the same as it did before.