Support Windows XP

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri May 7 09:41:52 UTC 2021

On 5/3/2021 2:53 AM, Dukc wrote:
> DMD for Windows should work just as well in XP as in later versions, as far as I
> know. I don't think it depends on any functionality introduced after XP.

XP has terrible support for thread-local storage when DLLs are involved. Other
than that, it should work fine.

I use XP as a test machine for the DMC++ compiler, because later versions of
Windows attempt to run the virus checker every time the compiler generates an
executable. Even when the damned virus checker is turned off.

The trouble with the wretched virus checker is it holds on to the exe file even
if it is deleted. The next write of the file with the same name then fails.

DMC++ is compiled with DMD. I'm not sure which version of DMD is building it, as
my code doesn't aggressively use new D features I haven't been motivated to
upgrade it.