Plan for D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun May 16 09:48:58 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 05:50:12 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> You're acting as if D can only be used with the GC. dmd is
> *written* in D, so we are eating our own pudding. Walter is
> very focused on making compiles as fast as possible, and he
> determined that releasing memory and using the GC prevent him
> from meeting that goal. And he can still write his program in D.
>
> The GC is not a panacea. It's not suitable for every use case
> or performance goal. And that's perfectly fine.

In practice that's the case, that you cannot avoid GC unless you
don't use anything from the standard library. As soon you use
arrays, associative arrays and many other data structures GC will
be used.

There are two options as I see it. Either make the standard
library not using any GC (likely manual memory management or some
other method that is not tracing GC), or introduce fat pointers
where GC objects are of a special type and the you can recompile
the standard library to the GC type you want.