Plan for D

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun May 16 22:02:29 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 18:24:11 UTC, dogman wrote:
> community is let D be good at both. With a switch of GC=off,
> people should be able to use manual memory management and also
> able to use stdlib and lot of libraries. Not sure if its
> technically possible. Most people will use D with GC on. I know
> we can turn off GC and mix manual memory management.

It takes discipline to mix. Libraries would need to:
1. Be written for RC, transition to GC becomes free.
2. Written for finalizers, getting basic cleanup
3. Test for various mixes of RC/GC... How?
But you also need a fully precise GC to get proper finalzation...

Probably not worth it, easier to have GC only libs...

I am arguing in favour of task bound GC, which can b extended to
task-group GC. The latter should roughly cover existing code
bases that dont do anything fancy...

The key point however is that DMD ought to use the recommened
sytem programming MM idiom (whatever it ends up being), then it
is possible to argue pro et contra with some level of objectivity.

With no common ground, nothing will move...