Plan for D

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sun May 16 22:11:23 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 22:02:29 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 18:24:11 UTC, dogman wrote:
>> community is let D be good at both. With a switch of GC=off,
>> people should be able to use manual memory management and also
>> able to use stdlib and lot of libraries. Not sure if its
>> technically possible. Most people will use D with GC on. I
>> know we can turn off GC and mix manual memory management.
>
> It takes discipline to mix. Libraries would need to:
> 1. Be written for RC, transition to GC becomes free.
> 2. Written for finalizers, getting basic cleanup
> 3. Test for various mixes of RC/GC... How?
> But you also need a fully precise GC to get proper
> finalzation...
> With no common ground, nothing will move...

This is what I was going on about in terms of "We want to be
everything yet end up as nothing" and "We expect everything to be
perfect in every possible use case, but ends up in impossible
situations where nothing happens since no one will compromise".

Ultimately the fate of this thread is that everything posted here
will just turn to dust overtime, as no one with the power to move
things forward will even take things into consideration.