Writing GBA games with D!

TheGag96 thegag96 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 03:30:40 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 13:52:58 UTC, Raimondo Mancino wrote:
> (snip)

Very cool, from a fellow Nintendo D homebrewer in arms!! I would
love to see more people using the language this way. I myself am
having a lot of fun writing a game in D for the 3DS - here's a
basic [hello world +
bindings](https://github.com/TheGag96/3ds-hello-dlang) that I
almost certainly need to update.

I'm kind of shocked you're not using
[devkitARM](https://github.com/devkitPro/gba-examples). Any
reason? At first, I modified the toolchain to compile D support
into GCC, but like someone already suggested here, I'm using LDC
now and am not looking back. Definitely recommend doing so.

DevkitARM uses Newlib also, and D unfortunately doesn't yet have
bindings for it yet. In my repo, you'll see that I had to kind of
study Newlib's header files and try to hack into druntime in
myself. LDC made a change recently that reserves the version
`CRuntime_Newlib`, so you will probably have to something similar
to what I did but call it `CRuntime_Gba` or something. Hopefully
it'll get first class support down the road (people actually
looking to use it like you and I should probably be taking up the
charge, honestly lol).

Just curious, what kind of game/app are you looking to make with
this?