Plan for D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri May 21 07:07:19 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 19:11:56 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 18:35:58 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 18:18:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> Rust doesn't have RC, just library types, Arc/RC everywhere
>>> is just as slow as shared_ptr everywhere.
>>
>> @system code does not have to be @safe. Next step would be to
>> add borrowing selectively. You can also use borrowcounters
>> during testing, no need to go for static borrowing, actually.
>>
>>> In fact, the way that Apple got around improving ARC wasn't
>>> spending more development resources on their
>>> Objective-C/Swift compilers, rather develop a complete new
>>> CPU.
>>
>> D only needs atomics for shared, not comparable, as an Apple
>> engineer kindly has pointed out in this forum some years ago.
>> He did no discourage D from pursuing ARC, on the contrary.
>
> As you can see Obj-C had some extra challenges because of
> compatibility with manual RC:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/hgmhgirfervrsvcghchw@forum.dlang.org

I guess everyone over here will keep talking in circles about
memory management.

Meanwhile TinyGo, CircuitPyhton, Meadow, Astrobe, MakeCode.
microEJ just keep increasing their market share, while D keeps
its soul search for the golden solution to replace GC.