Plan for D

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Sat May 22 12:47:17 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 11:27:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 21 May 2021 at 17:58:59 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
> wrote:
>> I believe C++ is getting tasks, their coroutines are also (at
>> least MS implementation) switchable in nanoseconds so that you
>> can switch to another task/coroutine while waiting for memory
>> to be transferred to the cache. At least that it was is being
>> claimed.
>
> It turns out that Swift is going heavy in the direction of
> actors too.
>
> I read some of the future direction documenation for Swift and
> it was pointed out that copying values is what keeps the
> performance down, so they are working on that, but also on
> concurrency.
>
> They are switching from thread-local to task-local:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/main/proposals/0311-task-locals.md
>
> Tasks and executors:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/main/proposals/0304-structured-concurrency.md
>
> C++ also have things in the pipeline on
> concurrency/tasks/executors...
>
> Seems like Swift and C++ are heading in the same direction
> then. Maybe D's main competitor will be Swift, in addition to
> Nim et al.

*sigh*

How ironic that the larger organizations are more nimble about
these things than we, a vastly smaller community, are(or maybe
that's why?)

I can't help but feel it might be best if I just left for C++20.
Experimental stuff for C++23 is available anyways, can't be any
worse than the bugs in the D compilers. If I want the flexibility
of Python, I can learn how to embed `boost.python` properly.

And (if) when D's ambitions of Dpp and ImportC materialize, I
will just automatically generate headers/modules for D. That's
the intention, right?

... I think I've lurked in too many negative posts about D. Might
be good to stay away from the general posts for a while. See you
guys next month or later.