Plan for D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sat May 22 16:12:12 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 13:36:11 UTC, sighoya wrote:

> And then developing without a GC and dealing with many memory
> containers which aren't that safely convertible to each other,
> no, thanks.

This is point I have also thought about. If you only have one
pointer type GC or not, then the algorithms of the data
structures will work with any type of memory. Also there is no
need for code duplication to work with different types of memory
management containers.

Is is enough not to justify fat pointers? I personally don't
think so. The generic programming of D is so good that you can
create algorithms that will work with any MM container that you
throw at it (with code duplication of course).

Not dealing with several MM containers like C++ (unique_ptr,
shared_ptr, atomic_shared_ptr) and Rust is kinda nice, but only
one like Nim with the "ref" keyword is acceptable I think.