How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon May 24 10:04:49 UTC 2021

On 5/24/2021 2:39 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/24/2021 1:35 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> Did you read _literally nothing else_ that I wrote?
>
> I read it, my response was to the entire posting.

To be a little clearer, if the files are all merely reshuffled into various
packages, then they all violate the rule:

     *** Never import a file from an uplevel directory ***

and understanding is not increased at all. And it isn't even just an uplevel
directory, it's up then sideways then down.

There *is*, however, documentation on the dmd source files:

   https://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

Click on "dmd" on the left. For anyone wishing to get a tour of the files and
what they do, this is the place.

Adding better Ddoc comments to the source files will help with this, of course.