How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Wed May 26 01:38:59 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 01:25:23 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

> ...Illusions of Progress provide no actual utility, hence
> illusions.
> Packaging DMD otoh, provides _lots_ of utility: exploration and
> navigation is greatly eased, moreso for people who are less
> familiar with the codebase.

For what it's worth, I've found that exploration and navigation
of DMD code becomes much more manageable with an editor that
supports "goto definition"--ideally with history, so you can jump
backwards too.

I use vim's built-in ctags support for this, but I imagine most
popular code editors can be configured to do something similar.