How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 05:36:55 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 27 May 2021 at 04:53:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/26/2021 8:06 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 5/25/2021 6:25 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>>> ...Illusions of Progress provide no actual utility, hence
>>> illusions.
>>> Packaging DMD otoh, provides _lots_ of utility: exploration
>>> and navigation is greatly eased, moreso for people who are
>>> less familiar with the codebase.
>>
>> Creating a FILES.md file, the content of which is each source
>> file with a brief description, will accomplish the same thing.
>
> I see this has already been done:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/src/dmd/README.md
>
> It's a bit out of date, files like typesem.d are missing.

I know, I wrote the equivalent for the backend. And no that does
not accomplish the _same_ thing, not even remotely close. The
fact you only just found out about it shows that:
a) you have never used the README, and
b) know your way around well enough to not need it, which shows
the implication that
c) you have no perspective from those who would have use for
either a README or better structured files and know nothing about
the relative benefits of either of them.

Yes, a README is strictly better than nothing. It does not
substitute for having organised files. Neither does well
organised files substitute for a lack of README.