Herb Sutter's CppCon talk "Extending and Simplifying C++: Thoughts on Pattern Matching using `is` and `as`"

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 17:12:21 UTC 2021

On 11/1/21 3:45 AM, Bruce Carneal wrote:

 > It seems Sean Baxter's
 > "circle" C++ compiler is opening some eyes.

I haven't watched the video yet.

However, I had the privilege of having Sean Baxter as my only guest on
one my D meetups. I had attended a C++ meetup where Sean introduced
Circle. Basically, almost everything in Circle was already in D.
Interestingly, he hadn't heard about D. So, he came to my meetup the
next day. He may have found a couple of new things in D that Circle did
not have.

 > A quick scan produced an older critique of circle wrt another C++
 > proposal:
 > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2062r0.pdf.
 > Those authors seem to embrace crippling, IMO, scope restrictions that
 > circle does not.

Andrew Sutton happens to be one of the authors of an infamous paper:

   http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3613.pdf

That paper deprived C++ programmers of 'static if' for 8 years and
counting. I am sure they will eventually come up with something better
many years from now.

I see their behaviour as undervaluing engineering. I think D and Circle
are great engineer tools but C++ is seeking some kind of perfection. For
example, yes, 'static if' can be shown to have problems and shortcomings
but it is an incredibly useful and succesful feature.

(Aside: There was another paper written years prior by known C++
personalities, proving "iterators are a better abstraction compared to
ranges." (I can't find that paper anymore.) Ok, good proof! You go that
way, and I will continue with my getting things done with ranges.)

Ali