Suggestion about releases

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 16:09:27 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 15:35:51 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 09:13:59 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> I don't have time to write a proper post, but I have a
>> suggestion.
>>
>> Could we increase the time between releases?
>>
>> Today we have in practice 15 days between minor versions. That
>> might be ok, but "major" releases are too frequent.
>>
>> The logic behind that is it would hopefully put more focus on
>> testing and reliability etc. If we have to live with a release
>> for a longer time period, the theory is everyone will be more
>> cautious when making a change.
>>
>> Theory vs practice applies ofc, but I think it could be
>> positive. As for what amount of time makes most sense, I'm not
>> sure yet.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> My preference is once a year, after dconf, they release a new
> stable version of the compiler. That wouldn't prevent them from
> having other releases in between, they just wouldn't be
> "stable" releases. I don't think this will go anywhere though.
> It's been discussed before and most people don't see a need to
> change it.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a new idea. I just wasn't around
when those discussions where had 😎

I think we have pretty good tests for our code, so I'm not so
scared there. It's more what you could maybe call "architectural
hygiene", how you plan for changes, what to do when requirement x
comes up, should we use strict semver etc.