Why is D unpopular?

kot kot at lin.ko
Wed Nov 3 16:25:55 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:27:25 UTC, Dr Machine Code
wrote:
> It got [asked on
> reddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/q74bzr/why_is_d_unpopular/) sub but for those that aren't active too, I'd like you opinions. Please don't get me wrong, I also love D, I've used it everywhere I can and I'd say it's my favourite language (yes I have one...) but I'm as as the reddit's OP, trying to understand why it's unpopular. Rust and Go seeming to be getting more and more users. I think it's due to large ecosystem and the big corporations with deep pockets that pushes them. But I'd like to know you all opinions

i don't care if a language is popular. i want to share a real
world example that i believe answers a few questions related to
language adaptation.

years ago i was asked to develop an app for both mobile platforms
(ios, android), they didn't care which language[s] was being
used. swift was obvious choice for ios. for android i first
checked clojure. android support was there but not seamless. then
i found out a language called kotlin. not only that kotlin
supported android, it had tools to convert java code to kotlin. i
immediately tried the tools and results were beautiful. this much
quality at the alpha/beta stage of a language... it was obvious
that this language i just found out about will dominate the
android-developement, and soon enough it was the official
language.

now, if D had supported android/ios half as good as swift or
kotlin, i would not think twice. i find these language wars
silly, it is *always* about tooling/support. i am using c++ for
my current project because i have to. if i could use D as
painless as C++ (again, not about language quality. tool quality,
os-support, seamless ecosystem) i wouldn't think twice. for the
project i am working, experiements and live coding is vital. so,
my obvious choice would be lisp right? but i can't.