Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 16:38:03 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 16:25:55 UTC, kot wrote:
> now, if D had supported android/ios half as good as swift or
> kotlin, i would not think twice. i find these language wars
> silly, it is *always* about tooling/support. i am using c++ for
> my current project because i have to. if i could use D as
> painless as C++ (again, not about language quality. tool
> quality, os-support, seamless ecosystem) i wouldn't think
> twice. for the project i am working, experiements and live
> coding is vital. so, my obvious choice would be lisp right? but
> i can't.

But do you feel productive in C++? I find that even for simple
things, in C++ it will take 10x longer than in Python and a
language like D is somewhere in-between. I guess that to some
extent this is because I usually don't do things in C++ unless
speed is critical, but the main gripe I have with C++ is that
changing code is very costly. So that does not encourage you to
avoid premature optimization. This is basically an area where a
language like D (perhaps also Rust) might do better. So when you
say that you do a project that requires experimentation, what
made you reject other languages than C++?