Why is D unpopular?

kot kot at lin.ko
Wed Nov 3 17:12:28 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 16:38:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 16:25:55 UTC, kot wrote:
>> now, if D had supported android/ios half as good as swift or
>> kotlin, i would not think twice. i find these language wars
>> silly, it is *always* about tooling/support. i am using c++
>> for my current project because i have to. if i could use D as
>> painless as C++ (again, not about language quality. tool
>> quality, os-support, seamless ecosystem) i wouldn't think
>> twice. for the project i am working, experiements and live
>> coding is vital. so, my obvious choice would be lisp right?
>> but i can't.
>
> But do you feel productive in C++? I find that even for simple
> things, in C++ it will take 10x longer than in Python and a
> language like D is somewhere in-between. I guess that to some
> extent this is because I usually don't do things in C++ unless
> speed is critical, but the main gripe I have with C++ is that
> changing code is very costly. So that does not encourage you to
> avoid premature optimization. This is basically an area where a
> language like D (perhaps also Rust) might do better. So when
> you say that you do a project that requires experimentation,
> what made you reject other languages than C++?

i am using c++ for almost 20 years and i am quite productive in
it. given enough time i think one can be productive in any
language. of course D would at least double that. this project
(game) at first targetted both mobile and pc platforms. for this
reason alone, i was stuck with c/c++. then i dropped mobile
support. I don't know the state of tooling of D, but if it was
seamless enough then D would be my first choice now. i don't like
rust as much, rust code looks even uglier than c++ and its
handling of generic-code/metaprogramming looks even worse. they
should have started from D templates, not c++.

> what made you reject other languages than C++?

obvious choice for such a project is lisp, afaik no other
language still has that speed/power when it comes to live coding.
compared to C++ D has that too, answer is the same for both; tool
and os support