Phobos version naming

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Nov 4 15:23:46 UTC 2021

On 11/4/21 2:12 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 November 2021 at 00:46:35 UTC, Adam Ruppe wrote:
>
>> For example we might not actually use "Stdv2" but instead "std2023".
>> In years prior to that, it is now obviously a future version and thus
>> subject to change, then when 2023 comes along, it is officially
>> stablized and we can start playing with std 2024.
>>

> What if it's behind schedule? You'd have to explain to people in 2025
> why the future version name is std2023. Also, std2023 is ugly.

Interestingly enough that's what happened to C++. The draft was C++0x
for a long time until they realized they can't make it by 2010. The
standard was ultimately C++11, and it was refreshed every three years
right on schedule.

I can't understate just how successful their process is. We'd do good to
learn from it.