My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 21:39:55 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 7 November 2021 at 11:43:23 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/vnkgayrbnokeufduuuba@forum.dlang.org
>
> On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 15:06:35 UTC, Benny wrote:
>> First of all, please do not repost this on Reddit or any other
>> forum. This is focused for the D community alone to help deal
>> with internal issues and it does not need to be ridiculed as
>> this is a personal opinion.
>>
>> [...]
>
> This is a pretty well thought out post. Are we getting forward?

I had an experience where (because I'm not a network programmer,
and the situation was time sensitive) I opted to use a Rust
solution rather than Vibe.d which I tried but found unsuitable.
It frustrated me because I know D can do a great job in this
sphere - but I wasn't in a position to do anything about it.

One thing about languages such as Rust and Go is that lots of
people in their ecosystem have an internet/network programming
background. So you're likely to find decent server/client
libraries, and there isn't just one option for a HTTP library,
but there might be three, four, or more relatively high quality
libraries. In addition because of the nature of their
communities, if the "flagship" solution was for any reason to
become unsuitable, someone would immediately write a great
replacement.

A lot of issues like this in the D space will be greatly
ameliorated and some will be eliminated altogether once ImportC
is made to work robustly. It won't be a "panacea" but it will
help immeasurably. In that situation, you'd just dial up a C
library and call it from D. You'd be able to lean on C libraries
for the tools you need and write D code for the stuff I want to
build. Bootstrapping from C in this way is the key to resolve
this issue.