My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 7 22:30:30 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 7 November 2021 at 21:39:55 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 November 2021 at 11:43:23 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/vnkgayrbnokeufduuuba@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 15:06:35 UTC, Benny wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> This is a pretty well thought out post. Are we getting forward?
>
> I had an experience where (because I'm not a network
> programmer, and the situation was time sensitive) I opted to
> use a Rust solution rather than Vibe.d which I tried but found
> unsuitable. It frustrated me because I know D can do a great
> job in this sphere - but I wasn't in a position to do anything
> about it.
>
> One thing about languages such as Rust and Go is that lots of
> people in their ecosystem have an internet/network programming
> background. So you're likely to find decent server/client
> libraries, and there isn't just one option for a HTTP library,
> but there might be three, four, or more relatively high quality
> libraries. In addition because of the nature of their
> communities, if the "flagship" solution was for any reason to
> become unsuitable, someone would immediately write a great
> replacement.
>
> A lot of issues like this in the D space will be greatly
> ameliorated and some will be eliminated altogether once ImportC
> is made to work robustly. It won't be a "panacea" but it will
> help immeasurably. In that situation, you'd just dial up a C
> library and call it from D. You'd be able to lean on C
> libraries for the tools you need and write D code for the stuff
> I want to build. Bootstrapping from C in this way is the key to
> resolve this issue.

Yeah, I still have hope. I also see much happening in D now.
There are forces wanting it to succeed. But we need to focus.

Most important thing I need rn (I know ppl find it silly, but
coming from other languages you get so used to it) is a reliable
and good IDE with static analysis, autocomplete, goto definition
that just works and built in package management and a good set of
core libraries that are rock solid.

Then I can use D at work for some projects (instead of C#), which
is my goal. (We have some devices where we barely have space left
for dotnet runtime)