Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:28:35 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 14 November 2021 at 03:19:37 UTC, forkit wrote:
> My 'second point' being, has D already become to complex? And
> is there any way to make it simpler, other than 'adding to it'?
>
> I personally do not like simple. To me, that equates to
> restricted. But I doubt most are like me, hence why D may
> never, ever, become 'popular'.

Features like ```@trusted``` only makes sense if the invariants
(rules) of the type system are easy to reason about, otherwise it
becomes impossible for most programmers to write correct
```@trusted``` code.

Both C++ and D have unnecessary complexity, meaning that the
complexity does not add power, it is basically just relics of the
past. C++ cannot fix this, because of critical mass. It is a
mistake for D to follow the same recipe…