My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 13:56:34 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 13:51:09 UTC, Tejas wrote:
> He recently came up with another idea that will help D gain
> traction: integrating a C compiler(parser, actually) directly
> into the front-end.
>
> How much skepticism and criticism was thrown upon him(I'm not
> judging whether that was good or bad)?

Nothing wrong with integrating with C, it is interesting, but it
has to happen in the right order. The compiler internals should
be be cleaned up first. It is kinda like eating the desert before
eating dinner. We are all guilty of that, I assume, but in a
compiler the long term costs are higher than usual.

So the vision was ok, but the software engineering part of it is
questionable.