My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:04:32 UTC 2021

Lots of good ideas there.

Violently agree with:

     1.
         @safe -> safe
         @trusted -> trusted
         @system -> system
         @nogc -> nogc

       @No @it's @not @that @disruptive.

2. If I understand correctly auto-decoding is being worked on.

3. WebASM being important. YES.

4. Other languages recruit in Python and Web developer circles,
since that's what people are taught first.

Some of us don't want GC or Phobos and _need_ to live under
@nogc, disabled runtime (not -betterC necessarily) is super
useful. I'd want optional Phobos.

I disagree with:

     - Formats like JSON Schema need champions from the community
who will produce and maintain a DUB package. Likewise for HTTP
2/3.
       Different for the event loop, as it has network effects.
Heck, people create D libraries all the time, it just needs
direction maybe.

- No mention of DUB aesthetics and usability! It is paramount,
more colors and animations would go a long way.

- safe by default: I really don't care about that. I guess it
would be a positive? Will I earn more money selling D software?
Perhaps slightly more. Why not do it.

Anyway, Robert for president!