Future of memory management in D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 23:36:17 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 23:01:44 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> That isn't not what happened, people did demand @nogc back
> before it existed and considered it necessary. (I was a sceptic
> and am now an avid user of @nogc).

To give my statement some context, this is a quote from a [2014
posting I
made](https://forum.dlang.org/post/srqejkdljjhxiwmjbqzb@forum.dlang.org):

>I got very happy when Walter announced "@nogc" and his intent to
>create a "better C" switch on the compiler.

>I felt this was a nice change of direction, but I also feel that
>this direction has stagnated and taken a turn for the worse with
>the ref-counting focus… Phobos is too much of a
>scripting-language library to me, too much like Tango, and
>hacking in ref counting makes it even more so.

DIP60 was created on 2014-4-15, shortly after I had engaged in
some criticism of the GC (IIRC). I saw DIP60 as a response to
that, but when I search the forums I see that there have been
suggestions of various kinds several years prior to this.

Now, please also understand that my view of RC/GC in D has
changed since then.