Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:48:28 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 11:13:05 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> I don't understand you, no-one will pick up D if they have no
> prior interest. I have a lot of interest in using D because of
> its expressivity, but won't use it in a commercial environment
> for the reasons given. It's nothing to do with lack of interest.

No, I didn't mean you. Nothing wrong with commercial developers
in small teams. But if Big Business start making D mandatory,
then that would not necessarily mean improvements for the
existing users.

Being nimble and passionate is an advantage D has over C++. I
like that C++ is improving by adding stuff, but the overall
cognitive burden is quite large even for highly skilled
developers. Unfortunately the leaders of D view C++'s model as
successful. Well, it isn't. C++ has had momentum since early 90s.
That is the source for C++'s success. It does not confirm their
development process!

D1 had one big advantage over C++: lower cognitive burden. I
agree with you, D2 needs to be better at that. I think that is in
effect what you feel uncertain about  regarding bringing it into
your workplace?

> It's very illuminating that the two of us, both long term
> readers of the forums, have opposite opinions of what Walter
> thinks regarding the direction he is 'heading' to. It says to
> me that the direction has not been well communicated - which is
> perhaps one of my main points.

Or… there is no focus on concrete use cases, so there is no
direction to communicate?

I also think you already know the answer to your own doubts. If
we look at history, I'd say D2 is stable in 10 years if ever.
Because big new features are added while the count of weird
deficiencies isn't really changing. So that count will not reach
zero…

Someone from the outside with a background in usability, software
engineering and software process improvement probably has to
enter the scene and break the patterns before you get the focus
and clear direction communicated.

I think D could benefit immensely from some outside consulting…
:-)