Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Nov 18 17:59:06 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 05:46:52PM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 17:31:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> > Even C has not stopped evolving. And C++.  Why should we stop now?
> > The time when D stops evolving is the time it's dead.
>
> I am not convinced D has figured out how to evolve. More honestly, I
> am convinced D is not capable of evolving, and will in ten years look
> pretty close to what it is now. Whether that is good or bad is up to
> each programmer to decide.

That depends.  It's good in the sense that code I have today will likely
still compile then, modulo some small changes to upgrade the syntax
perhaps.  It's not so good in the sense that design decisions that were
in hindsight the wrong ones will remain and never be corrected.

I'm seriously hoping Andrei pulls off stdv2, because that's the only way
I see to move forward with Phobos.  Otherwise Phobos is just stuck in a
stagnant state and there's no way to move forward.

> Perl 5 (renamed to Perl 7, but that was only for marketing purposes)
> is still widely used and provides a solid platform after 27 years. The
> innovative changes are now in the barely-used Raku.

Yeah, I even forgot it was called Raku once and had to look it up.  :-D
I didn't see anything particular inspiring about it that would motivate
me to spend the effort to learn it.

This sentence is false.