Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Nov 18 20:18:43 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 18:20:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 06:03:07PM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 17:59:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh
>> wrote:
>> > I'm seriously hoping Andrei pulls off stdv2, because that's
>> > the only way I see to move forward with Phobos.

Yes, that is my hope. An updated Phobos would change the culture
of this project and make it exciting to contribute as part of the
community, whether that's core development or libraries, blog
posts, whatever.

>> It's that or we fork the language and seize control then just
>> start actually fixing things.
>
> I have to say, the thought has crossed my mind a few times.
> Only thing is, this community is already so tiny, splitting it
> would probably mean death to both resulting dialects.

The main reason to fork the language would be to make changes
that should happen but aren't, or to do things that wouldn't be
practical in the current language. That should bring in more
users. On the other hand, if you don't have a *completed*
language fork, the new won't be doing anything but taking
manpower from the current. I honestly don't see anything other
than the GC that would motivate a fork at this time.