Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:28:50 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 20:18:43 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> The main reason to fork the language would be to make changes
> that should happen but aren't, or to do things that wouldn't be
> practical in the current language. That should bring in more
> users. On the other hand, if you don't have a *completed*
> language fork, the new won't be doing anything but taking
> manpower from the current. I honestly don't see anything other
> than the GC that would motivate a fork at this time.

The experiments I did last year with a LDC fork convinced me that
a lot can be done at the parser and runtime level.

That also has the advantage that the compiler stays compatible in
a nonbreaking way with the mainline.

I just duplicated the parser and tied it to files ending with
```.dex```. That way you can mix standard and experimental D code
with no hiccups.

It is also very easy to do. I started added full unicode support
to the lexer, added new tokens and went on from there. You can
gradually do more and more with few bugs since it is mostly
syntactical.