Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:36:52 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 20:18:43 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 18:20:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>> It's that or we fork the language and seize control then just
>>> start actually fixing things.
>>
>> I have to say, the thought has crossed my mind a few times.
>> Only thing is, this community is already so tiny, splitting it
>> would probably mean death to both resulting dialects.
>
> The main reason to fork the language would be to make changes
> that should happen but aren't, or to do things that wouldn't be
> practical in the current language.

Think of a fork not as a competing company, but rather as a labor
strike. The goal isn't actually to coexist with nor to vanquish D
as we know it today, but rather to save it.

We'd get together and start a fork with the *goal* of getting the
changes merged back upstream and fixing our broken governance
model so it never has to happen this way again. Just like how
labor unions go on strike to negotiate a better (binding)
contract with the company - they aren't leaving their jobs, they
are trying to work with the bosses to make their jobs better.

That's what D needs to get on track. Enough people to force some
positive change to actually get going, then after that, we can
negotiate on the specifics to merge back in.