Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:41:05 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 01:14:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/16/2021 12:55 AM, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> Is there a set of features that, when fully working, will mean
>> that D2 is now finished? Or will it forever be in a state of
>> ongoing feature development?
>>
>> We all know that properly finishing and polishing the last 10%
>> of a software project takes 90% of the time. Is there a
>> timescale for that? What platforms will it support?
>
> No software development is ever done as long as people are
> still using it.

That's true, of course. What I mean is, nail all those boring
I-know-I-should-fix-those-small-to-medium-size-problems-but-I'm-not-sure-how and park, for now, the interesting DIPs etc. Finalise the feature set for an LTS version and really polish it to make it the best experience it can be for a developer, within the bounds of what is actually possible of course. Make it the focus of the community. Commit to supporting that release for bugs and security issues, on a nominated set of platforms, for a nominated period of time.

This is my proposal if you want to grow the number of corporate
developers using D. Maybe you don't, that's your call obviously.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree then set me straight and make it
clear what the vision actually is. Personally I'm also curious,
do you have a particular set of developers in mind as users, or
are you just scratching your own itch and hoping that it will
also be good for others? Both answers are perfectly reasonable,
but it would be nice to know the answer.