Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 16:24:58 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 10:49:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> Maybe, but I don't think those that go to conferences represent
> the majority. C++ conference presentations often show more high
> level code than people usually write... A distorted reality.
>
> What people in the D-forums don't get is that people who come
> to complain on the forums and are perceived as detractors
> actually represent that silent majority that never visit the
> forums, but who want [whatever].

Sure, forums don't filter out people who aren't already committed
like conferences tend to do. But also: sampling forum complainers
has its own biases, they tend to be those of the inpatient and
furious nature. Also more or less forum complaining suffers from
cheapness of talk. Conference people have usually had to consider
the limits of time/manpower/influence when pushing for changes.
Forum complainers often have not.

That many people have been whining about the same things does not
show the forum ranters any less biased. Conference people also
often bring up same things as each other, yet we accept there is
a bias in sampling just their opinions.

Do you think listening to the forum complainers paints a less
distorted picture nonetheless, compared to people one meets at
conferences? And if, what makes you think so?