Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:14:46 UTC 2021

On Monday, 22 November 2021 at 21:38:57 UTC, forkit wrote:
> For the time, perhaps not. But in hindsight, all C++ did, was
> to 'add onto' a language that provided very little in terms of
> safety guarantees.

Yes. Bjarne Stroustrup missed the modelling features of Simula
(OOP and coroutines) and added those to C. Of course, C++ became
the black bastardized sheep of OOP and academics frowned... Then
Java was inspired by OOP and more or less reimplemented Simula
(semantically close), and Bjarne got a prize for his OOP efforts.
:-D

> A lot of the code in the future, will need formal safety
> guarantees, and at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if
> countries start passing legislation to mandate this (well, they
> already do this in some industries anyway).
>
> D cannot provide such guarantees.. and will never be in a
> position to do so.

D could become interesting for small businesses or individuals
that create commercial interactive desktop products. Clean up the
semantics, syntax, memory management and build an application
framework for D.

I guess Swift is workable, to some extent, but very Mac centric
and requires some C. D could be a cross platform replacement for
Swift + C.

But it takes a lot of focus on polish (semantics + syntax). And
well, "focus" and "polish" requires disciplined planning.

> Or is it just nice to play around with.
>
> I'd say that latter, in which case.. (to get back on topic)..
> who really cares when D2 is finished ;-)

I'd care, if it was polished and suitable for effectively
creating highly interactive software.

But then we come back to disciplined planning. Which seems to be
an unsurmountable challenge.