My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 22:40:20 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 22:21:51 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Not sure if I'm interpreting your answer correctly but there is
> no contradiction between managed pointers and raw pointers when
> it comes to interoperability.

I don't know enough about Nim, but it would be a mistake to
replace one memory management solution with another one, if it:

1. Still does not satisfy people who want something slightly
higher level than C++, but low level enough to create competitive
game engines.

2. Requires semantic changes that makes D more like Nim.

3. Increases the complexity of the compiler unnecessarily.

I would strongly favour simple schemes. So I'd rather see
actor-local GC + ARC (without cycle detection).

Complex schemes tend to go haywire when people go hard in on low
level hand-optimization. Programmers need to understand what goes
on. As can be seen in the forums, many have a hard time
understanding how the current GC works (despite it being quite
simplistic). I can only imagine how many will fail to understand
ORC…