Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Greg Strong mageofmaple at protonmail.com
Wed Nov 24 21:55:46 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 21:41:10 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 17:14:56 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> ..
>> I'd say lets not finish it and start on D3 instead.
>
> No. D2 needs to first come to a design halt. It seems far from
> that at the moment.

Agreed.  I think we *need* a stable D2 before we can hope for
widespread adoption.  This could mean either finishing the
incomplete things or backing them out, but it's got to go one way
or the other on all significant outstanding things.  Making a
list of these things and deciding if they are "in" or "out" of
the upcoming LTS release should be job #1.  And it must be made
clear that there will, indeed, be an LTS release upcoming.
Without that clearly stated no one should use D for anything
other than hobby programming.  To do so would be irresponsible.

> D3 is inevitable, of course. The only question is what design
> decisions will 'force' that move to the next version of D?
>
> I'd be more interested to hear in detail, about that aspect of
> moving D forward, rather just the call to dump D2 and create a
> D3.
>
> No fluffy 'vision'.. I wanna see the details.

Well, I think first having a general vision is a prerequisite
before details can be worked out...  No one person can work out
all the details, and multiple people need to adopt some shared
vision in order to move things forward.  Lack of shared vision is
one of our biggest problems.