SAOC LLDB D integration: 2nd Weekly Update

Luís Ferreira contact at lsferreira.net
Sun Oct 3 14:33:24 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-10-01 at 14:02 -0400, James Blachly via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 9/30/21 7:05 PM, Luís Ferreira wrote:
> > ## What's next?
> >
> > For now, I'm going to proactively fix the requested changes in the
> > LLVM
> > patches. They seem to require smaller patches and probably the next
> > week will
> > be dedicated to that.
>
> Luís:
>
> I think it's a little bit surprising and disappointing that they want
> such granular breakdown, but they required the same of the recent
> Rust
> demangler [0] as well, so at least they are applying their rule
> fairly
> consistently.

I kinda understand their point, since huge changes can be difficult to
review, although, for my side, this can also be time consuming, but I
guess I have no choice. It is at least a reasonable rationale since
LLVM is a big project and code introduced to it should be take with a
bit of caution.

> There is also the licensing issue which raised their hackles and
> you'll
> have to deal with.
>
> One potential strategy to sidestep the licensing issue AND to make
> the
> breakdown task much easier, is to abandon the libiberty code and
> literally take each of the Rust patches [1] and straight port (adding
> and subtracting cases as needed) for D demangling.
>
> Rust Demangler:
> [0]
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/lib/Demangle/RustDemangle.cpp
>
> Consecutive patch history:
> [1]
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commits/main/llvm/lib/Demangle/RustDemangle.cpp

They are not being against relicensing, which is good, and since Iain
is also on our side, I think that this is no longer a problem, I hope.
I also have half of a demangler written in D kinda from scratch to
substitute the current core.demangle, which I can implement it as a
ultimate plan Z but that choice is also very time consuming and
probably not feasable in the proposed time range.

--
Sincerely,
Luís Ferreira @ lsferreira.net