[OT] What are D's values?

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:58:00 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 7 October 2021 at 22:07:13 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:

> D having one front-end means that in practice you have less
> unknowns.

I think that could well be one of our strongest advantages
against C++, since UB stuff can also have a reference point for
implementation, meaning vendors don't _have_ to guess something
when implementing a corner case.

> Yes really, it is very difficult to keep up with the C++
> changes even if you were a full-time C++ programmer. And you
> need to since people start to use the new stuff when available.
> It is very likely that when the next standard comes out, you
> would have barely assimilated the one from 10 years ago. C++
> needs a cast of "explainers" like Scott Meyers.

The last 10 years have really been a roller-coaster for C++
practitioners, but I think it's necessary for the language to
evolve at that breakneck pace to at-least be relevant.

Imagine if Rust and D and Nim and whatever fail to replace C++?
If the C++ recommended in use is still the same as C++03? That
would've been a nightmare.

C++20 and its successors won't be very good languages in their
own right, but for the jobs that they're expected to perform(be
100% compatible with existing code), they'll be perfect,
unfortunately.