My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:02:30 UTC 2021

On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 16:25:47 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 15:45:10 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/vnkgayrbnokeufduuuba@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 15:06:35 UTC, Benny wrote:
>>> First of all, please do not repost this on Reddit or any
>>> other forum. This is focused for the D community alone to
>>> help deal with internal issues and it does not need to be
>>> ridiculed as this is a personal opinion.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> General question: how much of this is still true?
>
> state of the language compared to back then:
>
> - there is a good requests library now

i disagree, adding that libraries hurts build time a lot

> - there is hunt framework as high performance HTTP client, but
> there aren't really a lot of resources on how to get started on
> it / userbase is small in general

i disagree, it is a library with ton of OOP usage rather than
composition, it mimics dead java frameworks, similar to vibe-d
and requests, adding it makes your project build time become VERY
bad

> - regressions have gotten a lot better

i agree

> - code.dlang.org is much more stable, doesn't really crash a
> lot anymore

i agree, but search is very bad

> - grpc has dub packages (thanks to symmetry)
> - imap has dub packages (thanks to symmetry)

can't comment on that i haven't tried, but knowing it is
supported is a nice thing

> - PDF libraries have been published, you can use C libs too
> - awesome-d has been migrated to dlang-community, has been
> improved a lot

can't comment on that

> - windows support has improved a lot

i agree

> - I would say VSC plugins work fine out of the box by now
>
> It feels to me like the target audience is still as blurry as
> back then. Several of the issues there still persist.

When you compare with Go, everything remains quick to compile,
everything is scalable and the GC is a low latency one

Betting on Hunt/Vibe-d is the best way to follow Java and Dotnet
in the graveyard

Go ate everyone's cake because they focus on simplicity without
sacrifying everything else

It makes iterating on projects super fast, and it makes the
projects easy to debug, all of that facilitates contributors
work, there is a reason why it grew so fast and is no the
language of choice for cloud native

I try my best to maintain insanely fast compile time in my
projects, that is why i avoid STD and most libraries, because
consuming them prevents me to reach and maintain that goal