[OT] What are D's values?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Oct 9 07:13:38 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:23:00 UTC, russhy wrote:
> Why do you guys compare D to C#, if there is one language you
> should compare D is with
>  (actually 3) Go/Rust/Zig
>
> C# appeals to Java people, it's not a native system language,
> it compiles to IL and requires a massive runtime
>
> The more you look at C#, the faster you'll miss the biggest
> agendas of tomorrow, C# just like Java are slowing meeting with
> the graveyard of old and irrelevant tech

So much disinformation.

Here the native code compilers for C#.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/dotnet-native/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/ngen-exe-native-image-generator

https://github.com/dotnet/designs/blob/main/accepted/2020/form-factors.md#native-aot-form-factors

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/internals/aot

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/IL2CPP.html

Running on production embedded hardware,

https://www.wildernesslabs.co

Apparently the majority of the games running in that Nintendo
toy, that has broken all sale records, happen to use Unity in
about 30% of their titles.

https://www.kelltontech.com/kellton-tech-blog/reasons-develop-nintendo-switch-games-in-unity-game-engine

Another graveyard irrelevant technology that besides Nintendo, is
the tier 1 for Sony, Google and Microsoft gaming systems and
AR/VR platforms, alongside Unreal.

Looks pretty much alive to me.

D also compiles to LDC bitcode and GCC gimple, and has a runtime.

Should we also consider it not a systems language then?

Don't let the hatred and lack of knowledge for other stacks cloud
your judgement.

It steers people away from D when false statements are being done
about the ecosystems they know quite well, turning on their
defences and thus stop listening on what D is actually supposed
to be better on.