Nim Nuggets: Nim talk at Strange Loop 2021

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Oct 17 21:17:43 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 14:16:51 UTC, russhy wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 11:04:26 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 08:15:26 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:

>>> Lisp is fundamentally different. It started out as an
>>> interpreter and later added native code generation. There
>>> never really was a difference between compile time and
>>> runtime for Lisp.
>>>
>>> Nobody even thought of compile time function evaluation for C
>>> and C++ until D did it.
>>>
>>> Nobody.
>>>
>>> As evidence, when people discovered that C++ templates could
>>> be used to evaluate things at compile time, everyone was
>>> completely agog over it. I never heard *anyone* suggest that
>>> maybe ordinary functions could do this, too.
>>>
>>> Now everyone does it. Even C is considering adding it.
>>
>> Maybe you should have read more SIGPLAN papers then, there are
>> several examples of those capabilities.
>>
>> Always screaming D did it before C and C++ is not going to
>> increase D's userbase, specially since they get the feature
>> without leaving their ecosystem.
>>
>> Maybe instead of complaining about who did it first, the
>> community should focus on fixing all lose ends.
>
> you are the one that started with:
>
> "X did it first"
>
> then you complain when people correct you, and then you say
> it's useless to focus on "who did it first"
>
> come on!

Was I corrected, really?

The very first compiler for Lisp was created in 1960 for the IBM
704.

Common Lisp was just one example among others, here are a few
more.

- Dylan, released to the public in 1995

- PL/I included a macro subset, released in 1964

- Template Haskell, initially prototyped in 2002

- <bigwig> language research project at BRICS in 2002

- Luca Cardelli work on extensible languages at DEC Olivetti/HP

It is useless for the community to whine who did it first,
because it won't increase its audience.